LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is offered on an ongoing basis. The next session begins July 5, 2022.
The program is conducted outside of medical facilities to emphasize that LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is about health, not disease. Medical studies have shown that moderate levels of appropriate physical activity can reduce fatigue, boost self-esteem and improve muscle strength and physical endurance in individuals following cancer treatment. And cancer survivors themselves are increasingly aware of the positive impact that moderate physical activity, supportive relationships and stress reduction techniques can have on their quality of life.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA has helped thousands of cancer survivors move beyond cancer in spirit, mind and body.
The program is 12 weeks, with two 90-minute sessions a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm. It is open to adults 18 years or older at no cost to the participant.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA participants:
- Build muscle mass and muscle strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve functional ability
- Reduce the severity of therapy side effects
- Prevent unwanted weight changes
- Improve energy levels and self esteem
- Develop a personal physical fitness program to continue beyond the program
- Enjoy a supportive environment and connecting with fellow survivors, YMCA staff and members
- Complete fitness and quality of life assessments before and after participation